Orchid or orchidaceae is one kind of flowering plants that has hundreds of families with a numerous variety under each one. According to Wikipedia, along with the Asteraceae (commonly known as the aster, daisy, or sunflower family,) it is one of the two largest families of flowering plants, with between 21,950 and 26,049 currently accepted species, found in 880 genera or classification.
I found this one in my sister’s garden… I’m not sure if it’s a kind of cymbidium or a vanda – neither maybe. What I know for sure is that this was from my mother’s collection.
- Flower Glossary: Orchid (proflowers.com)
- The Rich Diversity and Symbolic Meaning of Orchids (proflowers.com)
- The evolution of orchids (oup.com)
- Orchids mimic simians (whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com)
- Get your orchid to flower again! (kelownaflowerscene.com)
- My Mother’s Favorite. (greatgreths.wordpress.com)